Antigua and Barbuda is one of only eight nations in the world that offer a Citizenship by Investment program. Five of those happen to be in the Caribbean, and arguably Antigua and Barbuda’s CBI program is the best of the bunch!
Citizenship by Investment – also known simply as CBI – is the practice of a country offering the opportunity of their citizenship and passport in return for a financial investment. Obviously, an investor must be able to pass a battery of tests regarding their health, character and lack of any criminal convictions, and they must possess the necessary funds to make such an investment, but if all is good, CBI offers individuals from repressive nations with restrictive passports the chance of second citizenship and a powerful passport with a Caribbean paradise.
About Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda is a dual-island nation that is part of the West Indies and located in the Lesser Antilles, in between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. It is an independent democracy with both a Governor-General and a Prime Minister, but is also part of the British Commonwealth and regards Elizabeth II as its ruling monarch. The islands were discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1493, and it was he who reputedly named them in honor of the Virgin of La Antigua in the Seville Cathedral.
Antigua and Barbuda was an English colony from 1632 until it was granted independence in 1981. Historically, the islands sustained themselves by trading their abundance of fruit, livestock and fish. Since its independence, they have increasingly relied on tourism – which accounts for 50% of their GDP – and offshore banking, and in recent years, their citizenship by investment program has brought in considerable income and investment.
Antigua is the largest and most developed of the islands, and almost 90,000 people live there, compared to just 2,000 on Barbuda. There are already several 5-star hotels and luxury resorts, plus many bars, nightclubs and restaurants, not to mention offshore investment banks, including the Davos International Bank, BOI Bank Corporation, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and Scotiabank.
However Barbuda may soon be stealing its Big Sister’s thunder; Hollywood icon Robert De Niro and Australian billionaire James Packer have invested more than $250 million into a luxury resort on the island tentatively named Paradise Found. This will truly be a “Millionaires Playground” with more than 50 luxury villas under construction, plus an airport large enough to handle private jets and helicopters.
The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program
Antigua and Barbuda’s Caribbean neighbor St. Kitts and Nevis developed the world’s very first citizenship by investment program in 1984. Since then, Dominica, Saint Lucia and Grenada have all developed their own CBI programs. Antigua and Barbuda were a little late to the party, finally announcing their citizenship by investment program in 2013, making them the fifth Caribbean nation to do so, and only the eighth in total – the others being the EU programs of Austria, Cyprus and Malta.
The decision to develop a CBI program has been looked upon favorably by the island’s inhabitants as it would bring wealthy foreign investors and money to the islands, the demand for real estate would stimulate the local construction industry, and the bulk of those foreign investors would be only too keen to take advantage of the island’s favorable offshore investment banking. This has certainly proved to be the case, and the Antigua and Barbuda program has been very popular, particularly with investors from China and the Middle East.
Foreign investors who wish to use the Antigua and Barbuda CBI program to gain second citizenship and a new passport have three investment options:
Antigua and Barbuda CBI Investment Options:
- 1. A Charitable Donation: An investor can make a charitable US$200,000 donation to the Antigua and Barbuda National Development Fund (NDF). This is a non-refundable donation.
- 2. A $400,000 Real Estate Purchase: An investor can attain citizenship by an investment purchase of a minimum US$400,000 into an approved real estate project within the islands. This real estate must be maintained by the investor and cannot be sold until five years after the completion of purchase.
- 3. A $1.5 million Business Investment: An investor may invest a minimum US$1.5 million directly into an authorized business. This investment must be maintained for five years.
Key Benefits Of The Antigua and Barbuda CBI Program
Antigua and Barbuda’s CBI program has received excellent reviews from satisfied customers and citizenship brokers alike. Here are just a few of its key benefits:
- Antigua and Barbuda citizenship can be obtained via an investment of just $250,000
- Antigua and Barbuda citizenship and passports are issued within 2-3 months of investment
- The Antigua and Barbuda CBI program demands just 35 days of residency from an investor during the first five years of their citizenship
- The Antigua and Barbuda passport and citizenship documents can be collected in Antigua and Barbuda, or any Antigua and Barbuda Embassy, High Commission or Consular Office, anywhere in the world
- The Antigua and Barbuda passport has visa-free access to 134 countries worldwide, including the Schengen Area, Canada, the Far East, Southern Africa and most of Latin America
- Antigua and Barbuda citizenship automatically grants the owner access to live and work without restriction in any CARICOM (Caribbean Community) country, including the Bahamas, Barbados, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago
For more information on becoming a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda, and receiving a passport with visa-free access to 134 countries, contact 2ndPassports.com today at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can assist you throughout the second citizenship process, from the application stage to the day you receive your new citizenship and passport.
At 2ndPassports.com you will also see our other Caribbean CBI programs plus those in the EU, as well as a selection of the best investor visa programs on offer.
Feel free to contact us via email, WhatsApp or Telegram. If you prefer you can chat to one of our expert representatives directly – you can call us using our encrypted phone and Skype lines. All of our contact details are listed at the top of the 2ndPassports.com homepage.
We look forward to hearing from you!
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential consultation.
This is a secure online application protected by SSL encryption